General Conference

Gabe and I got the chance to attend our first general conference session. My parents gave us two tickets that they had for the Sunday afternoon session. I have to say I got so much more out of that session than I think I ever have! I doubt it had anything to do with the fact that I didn't have any kids hangin or climbing on me asking what snack they could have now, or that I was actually dressed and sitting up in a chair instead of being all snuggled in my pjs under a blanket "listening" with my eyes closed. I usually enjoy the talks most from the Ensign. It was so nice to go! The talk on mothers really hit my heart. I have been in a stage of life where I sometimes feel frustrated and find myself wondering what I am here for. Does anyone notice what I do? Does Gabe realize in our almost 10 years together I have changed about 6,000 diapers, done 3,600 loads of dishes, or answered to the call from the bathroom of, "MOM, I'M DONE!" about 1,460 times? Does it mean anything? Why can't I get everything done right - how and when I want to? Many moments are filled with joy but it is overwhelming as a mom to sometimes feel inadequate. Here is a quote that I love and read often.

Woman to Woman
Someone will always be prettier. They will always be smarter. Their house will be bigger. They will drive a better car. Their children will do better in school. And their husband will fix more things around the house.

So let it go, and love you and your circumstances. Think about it. The prettiest woman in the world can have hell in her heart. And the most highly favored woman on your job may be unable to have children. And the richest woman you know, she's got the car, the house, and the clothes.... might be lonely.

And the Word says if I have not loved, I am nothing. So, again, love you. Love who you are. Look in the mirror in the morning and smile and say "Iam too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!"

"Winners make things happen. Losers let them happen."

I love all of you women in my life (even if most of you never leave me a comment) and I cherish our friendships. You are all wonderful women and mothers and most importantly..... daughters of our Heavenly Father.


Wow - that was a pretty deep post!


Gabe and I outside the conference center...... Do you like the haircut he gave himself???

13 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love that quote! Thanks for sharing it!

Stephanie Walker said...

Great Post! And so soon after the last one...i'm impressed Melly! Where did you get that cute dress??? I love it!

Melanie Rojas said...

Got it for a steal at Burlington Coat Factory while looking for the boys an Easter outfit. They have the cutest little boy suits there! Anyways, thought it would be a great casual cruise dress......where we would be right now......but instead we're here and it's snowing outside!

Kimberly said...

VERY CUTE DRESS!! can i lose a million pounds and shrink a couple inches and steal it??!! im jealous you got to go.. that talk by Brother Ballard was my favorite! And wasn't Monson's last talk hilarious!! I can't wait to come see you guys.. I just don't know when!!! : )

Anonymous said...

How fun to go to conference, and what a neat quote! P.S.-You are an amazing mom by the way. I'm always so impressed by your boys and their obedience, manners, and fun-ness!! ;)

Kimberly said...

by the way.. YOU SUCK! I am so a PRO surfer!

Daniel and Kerri said...

That was a great pick me upper. We often see our life as monotonous and yet satisfying. Being a mother is tiring but also so wonderful. I think we just need a little boost every now and again. Oh, we live in Missouri and have lived there for almost seven years now.

Rachel Cunningham said...

Love your new posts! You are the cutest couple and you are a fabulous mom. But I totally dig what you're saying. Some days I think I had no business having kids. It's hard, and fun, and all that. LOVED conference. It's so cool to be there. We're planning on going in October.

Melanie Rojas said...

If you need somewhere to stay just let us know!

The McKnights said...

Very nice post Mel! I couldn't help but love that talk as well! Sometimes we need to hear things like that to realize how lucky we are to be mom's! I am so proud of you for the number of posts recently! You're on a roll! (But this doesn't mean you get two plus months now till your next post! ha ha) Can't wait to see you!

cindy said...

You are becomming very profound in your old age...must be being married to a bald man, that did it for me. Love you guys you are a great example to my girls.

Dizzy Kate said...

I love the picture. What a wonderful experience. I loved the talks about mothers too! I think it is so important as women to build each other up.

Summer said...

Hey Melanie- I had the exact same feeling after conference and posted something totally similar. You have a gorgeous family! If you want email me and I can add you to my blog roll.
summer@adaisyoriginal.com

Summer(Sherwood)Allen